Now there are a bazillion types of VPN/proxies around the internet. I am not saying CyberGhostVPN is the best, however, its free to try and allows 1GB of traffic. The free option is not good for you people who like to **cough** torrent, but its good when you are in the coffee shop and want to check your e-mail/facebook quickly. This also protects you from people sniffing wifi, as your connection to the VPN server is encrypted with 128-bit AES key. This key is re-established every time you connect, so every coffee shop you visit your key is different.
Below are the steps for getting GhostVPN running:
1. First you need to download the software (duh). You can grab it here: https://cyberghostvpn.com/en/product/download.html
The MD5 hash for the version 18.104.22.168 is: 6576ca7fa2a048fb1356d149b0e39e81
HOW TO CHECK THE VERSION: Right click on the downloaded program icon, Go to Properties, then click the Version tab.
WHAT IS AN MD5: MD5 is a one way hashing operation which provides a unique (enough) hexadecimal string for a file. Its useful for ensuring you have not downloaded a malicious/unofficial release of a file. With Windows you have to download a program to do an MD5, I like this one. You do not HAVE to do this, its optional!
2. You also need to create an account: http://cyberghostvpn.com/page/registration.php. This means you need to submit an email (it can be real/fake, up to you) and also create a username and password. Note if you give a fake email and you forget your password, you are SOL.
3. OK--- click on the downloaded file icon (right) and awayyy we go!
4. Choose the language you prefer, click Next.
5. You also have to decide where you want to save the program to, where you want to place the program in the Start Menu, or if you want a QuickLaunch icon and/or a Desktop icon. Generally the defaults are good.
* The screenshot to the right is the GhostVPN installing a driver on the machine, if you do not allow it, the VPN will not work*
6. Restart your computer... see you in a few
--- minutes pass ---
7. When you click on the snazzy GhostVPN icon, you have the option of creating your account now or skipping ahead to the log-in.
8. For first time set-up, you can specify what mail services you use on mail programs (like Yahoo!, Gmail, Microsoft, etc) as GhostVPN by default shuts down these ports
9. You also have the option of choosing the server you wish to log into (when you have the free account, you really don't have a choice) and if you want your history and cookies deleted after you close the browser. This option is only available with IE.
10. Finally, log-in using your username and password. The connection is established with 1024 bit SSL encryption. Feel the love.
11. Ok, so you are not connected YET. Its pretty obvious from the big red bang (!) and the YOU ARE NOT ANONYMOUS text. To fix this, connect the 'Connect to VPN' button...
12. ... and voila! You are now connected. As you can see I am connected to a German IP (check the flag). To prove this, I browsed to Google and ta da! Guten tag Deutschland!
3 different options, each increasing the bandwidth as well as traffic allowance. You also get the ability to choose what servers you want to connect to. So, those IP based web sites beware!!